Jason, All,

Dr. Higa and his colleagues formally recommend EM ingestion only for farm
animals.  They did for a time offer a very expensive "EMX" formulation for
human medical use.  It had no active microorganisms.   I don't see it for sale
anymore here.

I heard about human ingestion of EM from the wife of a retired biology
professor from a local university.   She told me that many people in Japan
drink EM for health.   I think it's safe and beneficial, but would advise
anyone interested in experimenting to do so at their own risk, with full
understanding that EM professionals do not advocate this use or claim medical
benefits.   They are understandably careful about this.

An American man named Vinny Pinto has (or at least had) very useful Internet
pages explaining home "brewing" of EM "extension," as it's called.   It's very
easy to do, isn't terribly temperature sensitive, and results in a very
long-lasting product.    I've had some for five years and it seems OK.  As long
as one squeezes out air from the PET bottle (the two-liter size works well),
the balance of microorganisms seems quite stable.

Pinto has for sale a kind of "recipe" book for EM manufacture.  I don't own it,
but my hunch is it's well worth having.

Regarding cost:  from a one liter bottle of new EM (about twenty dollars),  one
can make, if memory serves me, about twenty liters of EM extension.   I don't
think an individual would consume more than that in a year.

An interesting aside:   EM eats rust.  You can use it on rusted metal things
and it cleans them up nicely.    The primary use, however, is in agriculture,
so those interested in growing organic food will also be interested.   One last
item:  Dr. Higa has written two volumes of a book called "Earth Saving
Revolution," available in a first-rate English translation.  It's one of the
most interesting works I've ever read.