Pat Lawrie wrote:
How does one know if their arteries are clear or not? I took several bottles of serrapeptase and nattokinase, but I didn't see or feel anything different before or after. How would you know without getting expensive and invasive dye studies?

Here is the reply I got from my friend: hope there is some info you can use:
sol
I take what is considered fairly high dose nattokinase which is 200mg 3X/day. It is extremely important that these be taken on an empty stomach including serrapeptase. Many serrapeptases claim to be enteric coated so you don't have to worry about the empty stomach part. Serrapeptase supposedly has better anti-inflammatory properties than natto, while natto has better enzymatic activity. I did try about 3 months of serrapeptase and noticed within a week that I did not seem to have much anti-coagulant effect so even though it said could take with meals, went back to empty stomach and it did seem to work. However, I get much better results with natto. There is a 3rd enzyme which is supposed to be better than natto or serra and from my reading, it probably is the best...lumbrokinase which is extremely expensive. Now, as to how to know it's working, there are lab tests that can tell you in a round about way. A carotid ultrasound can also give a pretty good idea especially if you have a previous one to compare it to. For example, when I had the lyme flare in 2009, they wanted to make sure I hadn't had a stroke causing some of the eye symptoms. My carotids were 40% blocked (actually normal in an adult my age) BUT they made a specific note that the plaque was extremely smooth and posed no danger of causing a blood clot. The neurologist even told me he'd never seen plaque that smooth. I told him about natto, lol. That was almost 2 years ago...I'd love to see what the carotids look like now. I had been on natto a little over a year at that point and studies show that reversal of coronary artery disease takes 18 months to 2 years. Lab tests: Fibrin: the level of fibrin should decrease. This is the simplest test to get and I have a hard time getting that ordered. They wouldn't even run it prior to my big surgery last year and instead ran the normal clotting tests which don't really show what the kinases are doing. The other tests which can be ordered are...well, maybe if you have a friend who is a researcher or a doctor who gives a flip: EFA (euglobulin fibrinolytic activity) and FDP (fibrin degradation products), which both become elevated as fibrin is being dissolved. By measuring EFA & FDP levels, activity of NK has been determined to last from 8 to 12 hours. An additional parameter for confirming the action of NK following oral administration is a rise in blood levels of TPA antigen (tissue plasminogen activator), which indicates a release of TPA from the endothelial cells and/or the liver.^6,7 This whole article gives a very good overview of how natto (and the other work) http://www.springboard4health.com/notebook/health_nattokinase.html

When I had the cardiac cath done in August, the cardiologist said he'd never seen anyone's arteries as clean as mine were. There was zero plaque. He said he hadn't expected to find anything significant but he was surprised at just how perfect everything was. Hope this helps a little :)