I did watch a whole presentation on this by an electrical engineer, I have a
similar background and appreciated the detail.

Basically this is what I learnt.

1 : Smart Meter operate on a frequency similar to microwaves
2 : Smart meters work on a Cluster / Cloud architecture, meaning one meter does
not have direct communication with the 'tower' rather they all talk to each
other and the usage messages are passed on through this network of clustered
devices.
3 : Like all modern digital communication devices, they vary power depending on
the need to transmit the data at high quality.

What does this mean.

1: If you cover one up, for example install a faraday cage to shield the
device, the utilities company will know of the non-communication occurring from
your node.
2 : if you cover or  shield the device, or reduce the output by limited
shielding, then it will ramp up the power in as much it needs to transmit the
signal
3 : Your neighbours meters will still be transmitting unaffected, which will of
course reach you.
4 : you will be receiving this radiation from multiple sources, from wherever
your neighbours reside.

this does not mean that we are all done for, rather it means we have to find
ways around this, I for example take exception to the utilities company
radiating me without permission, or constantly monitoring my electricity usage,
and creating a profile of to sell to data aggregators, to create and complete
my 'profile'.
They can tell how many people are in the house, their approximate ages, devices
used, how many times a person goes to the toilet at night, and even approximate
tv watching habits... e.g. many people go to the toilet during a commercial
break and go to the fridge for a cold drink, or make a coffee. all by live
electricity usage data. I went to a seminar on this regarding remotely
monitoring the elderly and their habits to see the state of their health...

just my two pence worth

peace to all,

Asif.