For what it's worth I've just received this message from my power provider re the smart meter they installed at my home in the middle of last year.
I'm left wondering - is this information correct, can it be believed? Anyone care to comment?

Cheers, Roger B
NZ

Dear Mr Barker

Thank you for your call received 14 November 2011, in regards to the transmissions from your advanced meter.

We have looked into this for you and are happy to confirm the below information.

The stand alone modem for the advanced meter is used as a link between the meter and base server. This is done via the GSM/GPRS (Vodafone) network. The modem sends data to the network when the meter tells it to and receives data via the network from the base server.

Transmission of data occurs once per day after midnight and before 6am for the duration of 20-30 seconds.