Under some circumstances, even relatively large parasites can cross the BBB,
according to a really horrifying article I read some years ago.

A child was suffering neurological problems, including swelling that was so
severe surgery was needed to reduce pressure on the brain.

A long story made short:  the MD thought he detected the smell of feces when he
opened the skull, but convinced himself that he could not have done so.    In
fact he had:  a colon-dwelling parasite had moved into the brain.  The child
had gotten the parasite while playing in a sandbox with a visiting child from a
southern state in which the parasite was fairly common.  As it was not common
in the northern state where the treated child lived, the doctor had no basis to
suspect the parasite.

The child died as I recall.    I think that was in an old Readers Digest in
case someone wants to search for it.