Good point, but then  the same increased surface area could be obtained by
using 2mm flat sheeting cut into strips, which I have tried. I decided on
2mm solid wire eventually using 12 electrodes and it works very well. At
first it was not clear to me what the idea behind the tubing was, I had
previously thought it was intended to present a greater overall exposed
surface area, but just bending it so the ends are both out of the water
should be fine, though a 1 mm wall will wear through faster than a 2 mm
wire, and then your tubing will be no good.