Hi Lois.  Oh I'm sorry -- there goes that written word thing again -- I did not
mean to imply that your horse wasn't well-groomed!  When you said "old farmer",
I assumed that his farm horses were probably cared for like most work animals
--
health issues taken care of, *beauty* things not so much.  Keeping the
chestnuts

Yes -- the chestnut/cork is one of the original three toes.  The second is at
the base of the fetlock, just above the pastern (and it grows just like a
chestnut does and needs to be removed occasionally) and the third is the hoof
itself.  Some families of horses have evolved to the point where they have a
chestnut *area*, but don't grow one.  I have two of those out in the barn -- I
never have to do anything with their chestnuts.  But I have another mare in the
barn who grows her chestnuts like crazy -- an inch a month is not uncommon.
And
they don't peel off like normal -- they are firmly attached and she has a fit
if
you try to remove them.  It must hurt.  I have heard that you can make a horse
like this bleed if you insist on peeling them off.  I smear vaseline on them
once a day for about a week, and then I can remove them easily.  But she's very
unhappy about the whole thing.

Oh -- and I've read that that's an old Indian trick -- when trying to
catch/calm
a wild/spooked horse -- rubbing a chestnut from their own horse all over their
hands.  Horses are very sensitive to the smell of them, and will calm down and
allow themselves to be handled.  :-)
MA
P.S.  Lois -- can I ask where you live?  I've never heard the term *cork*!