On 5/12/2012 5:42 PM, Mike Monett wrote:
Hey Nike:
Thanks for the link.  I hadn't seen that equipment since 1958.
I was in the USAF. At 74yoa, my memory "ain't what it usta be". I remember: AN/FPS-3 & 6, 6megawatts, and a QK-388 maggie. Not a lot to show for for years. But it was good to see the gear, I had no idea they were still using it for anything.
Thanks again:
Bruce A,.
brucw Anderson<bande65...@btes.tv>  wrote:
Mike:  Thanks for the info on microwaves.  I have been cooking with
since 1954.  thought it was cool to toss an apple up in front of the
waveguide on an ANFPS6 radar unit.  It had six megawatts of power.  It
cooked much faster than ovens, but with ovens you don't to catch the hot
food with your bare hands.  Also I could light-up all the fluorescent
fixtures in a three story barracks over two miles away.  They kinda
frowned on that.
Bruce A.
Hi Bruce,

The AN/FPS-6 Height Finder Radar specs are at

http://www.radarpages.co.uk/mob/rotor/fps6.htm

They may have boosted the power on different models.

Using the 5MW, 400PPS and 2uS stated on that page, the average power works
out to 4KW. That will definitely do an apple!

We got one of the first GCA radars at Uplands airport in Ottawa, Canada,
back in 1960.

We made the mistake to slew the beam to a nearby hangar, some 400 ft away,
to do a range calibration.

Unfortunately, we ignited every flashbub in the photographers stockroom. He
came flying out of the building enveloped in a cloud of smoke.

He was not very happy:)

We were forbidden to point the antenna at the hangars after that.

What service were you in?

Thanks,

Mike Monett

Archives: