Ya, medicine seems to "discover" lots of things and never mention that
people in alternative medicine knew it for years or decades...silver as an
antibiotic...various supplements with chemotherapy...vitamin D
deficiency...gluten allergies...you name it.  The quacks rarely get the
credit.  They just become repeated quacks for the next thing they claim
that also will turn out to be accepted by everyone in 20 years, while the
average doctor may get praised for eventually using an answer that was
handed to him without any effort, yet not get any flack for not having
realized it a long time ago when he should have.

Though you have to have sympathy for the average doctor.  The average
doctor is, afterall, only average.  Though if you ask me, average people
ought to stay away from medicine.

David