Try this experiment:  put a little bit of vinegar in a container which
can be fitted with a stopper, like a cork.  I would use a little film
canister, you know the black ones that have a pop on top.  Then place a
small amt of baking soda in the container and then quickly put the top
on it.  Vinegar is a very weak acid.  HCl is a very strong one.  Baking
soda is a base, I do not know where on the scale it is, but it does
react with vinegar, as you will see.  There are lots of opinions on the
use of baking soda.  I for one think it is unhealthy.  But it depends on
the person, on how unhealthy it would be.  I am very low in HCl, as are
a lot of people over 20 years old.  We lose it as we age.  I think
baking soda makes us lose it faster.
Kris