At 03:24 PM 10/23/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Try this experiment:  put a little bit of vinegar in a container which
>can be fitted with a stopper, like a cork.  I would use a little film
>canister, you know the black ones that have a pop on top.  Then place a
>small amt of baking soda in the container and then quickly put the top
>on it.  Vinegar is a very weak acid.  HCl is a very strong one.  Baking
>soda is a base, I do not know where on the scale it is, but it does
>react with vinegar, as you will see.

Thanks for sharing.. There was a hole in my memories of fourth grade science.
I do however, remember, that the point of any experiment , was a scientific
method.

Did you also know, that if you stick your fingers in your ears - it becomes
really hard to hear?

Just another miracle of science... Base/acid - fingers/ears.. same thing

You can prove this by putting your fingers in  another person's ears.

Eventually, (and hopefully) this "list" will recognize the the maximum
effacy of
suspended silver solutions is in the charge of the solution.

I don't read all the tripe, but I have yet to see any reference to an
electroscope.

Like it or not folks, finely divided silver IS sensitive to light.

Internally, ANY silver is better than NO silver.

CS as you refer to it, is not a colloid at all.

Any silver particle in a suspension of pure H2o is heavier than the
suspending medium.

In lay terms, a true colloid would be a jar full of pink fish eggs.  If one
were to pick a few
eggs, inject them with a blue color and a grain of sand to make them
heavier than the  rest,
and put them back, - that would be a true colloid.

They would stay in apparent suspension. even though they were heavier (
because of the sand), because the slight increase in weight is not enough
to displace pink fish eggs around them.  If the container were vibrated,
they would eventually reach the bottom. Gravity rules.

Very fine suspensions of silver will all eventually settle out.  The silver
particles bump into water molecules, like bumpers on a pinball machine.
The smaller the particles, the longer it takes. It will happen eventually.

If the silver particles have like charges however, they will continually
repel each other,
or "swim".  As long as they remain charged, they are viable "swimmers".

The nature of things is that all charged "things" seek equilibrium.

Equilibrium can be reached by giving up a charge, to reach stability.

If a photon (light), strikes a particle, that impact is sufficient  to
change (or in this case nullify)
a positive charge on a silver particle.

At that point, it becomes just a hunk of silver.

Everyone in this group should be familiar with the mechanics of oxidation.

In many ways,  what I have seen in this group is exactly akin to worming
your dog.

You eat enough to kill ( or slow down ) the offender, but not enough to
kill the host.

Which, is fine.  Your immune system needs all the help it can get.

You would all do well to test the charge of your "solutions".