On our equipment I purchased two Radio Shack panel mount voltmeters.  They
come with a 15K resistor and with the resistor in series they are 15 volt full
scale.  A little calculation shows that the meters are a 1 mA movement.  So I
put the meters in a diode full wave bridge and upped the resistor on one with
a bunch of 1 Meg resistors so it would read out 15 KV full scale, and put a
shunt across the other meter so it reads out 30 mA full scale (when I had it
on one neon sign transformer).  I put a diode across each meter to protect it
from transients, and took the 1.15:1 RMS vs average voltage ratio into
account, since these meters will be reading average instead of RMS.

Works great, and gives instaneous voltage and current readouts.

Marshall