From:   Marshall Dudley [SMTP:mdud...@execonn.com]
Sent:   Thursday, October 28, 1999 11:22 AM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        Re: CS>diagram/design

You need a uv/vis scanning spectorphotometer.  As the particles get bigger the
absorption band
wavelength gets longer.  We use a Hack unit here for that.  Unfortunately we
have no way of calibrating
it, so we cannot look at the spectrum and say the particles are such and such a
size, all we can do is
say that the particles in this batch are bigger or smaller than that, or that
the particle size matches
those in which the tests showed the highest effectiveness.  If we could get
samples that have been sized
already by SEM or other means, we could calibrate it and then do a pretty good
job of absolute sizing,
but we have yet to be able to find such standards.

Marshall