Copper is a toxic essential mineral.  This is true of lots of trace metals,
small amounts are needed, but larger amounts are toxic.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/c5170.htm

Inhalation:
     Irritation of upper respiratory tract, headache, nausea, vomiting,
diarrhea, chills, fever, aching muscles.

     Ingestion:
     Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.

     Skin Contact:
     Irritation.