In a message dated 6/15/00 10:43:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
dotsie...@aol.com writes:

> Is it possible to have a severe allergic reaction to Colloidal Silver?  He
>  has a rash on 80% of his body.  Could the CS have eliminated some of the
>  symptoms by the time the doctor finally saw him on Monday thus preventing
an
>  accurate diagnosis?

Dear Dotsie,

     I looked up some stuff on the web and got quotes with cites.  I can't
say they're exactly scientific because they may not be.  In general, no one
knows of a report of allergic reaction (that I could find) but there is one
quote that does say a herx reaction from dead bacteria can cause rashes and
other symptoms.  My gut reaction is that Yes, the CS could have killed enough
bacteria to remove some symptoms.

My Best,
Samantha

http://www.alternativehealth.com.au/colloida1.htm

"There has never been any allergic reactions to colloidal silver ever
reported since medical records began during the mid 1800's."

http://aomega.com/lforce/csilv.htm

"Medical tests indicate no known adverse effects and there has never been a
recorded case of drug interaction with any other medication. No allergic
reaction has ever been recorded. "

http://acxes.com/Nupro/silver.html

"No interaction with other medications Tasteless when ingested No sting when
applied topically Totally non-toxic, no allergic reaction ever recorded "

http://www.natures-balance.com/html/colloidalp.html (This site at least has
named doctors as references):

"CAN I USE COLLOIDAL SILVER IF I SUFFER FROM ALLERGIES?
Colloidal Silver can be extremely beneficial to allergy sufferers, however,
while it i s highly unusual for people to have an allergic reaction to trace
minerals like silver, especially in a safe colloidal solution, if there is
even the slightest possibility of a reaction you should consult with your
health professional before using Colloid al Silver."

http://colloidal-silver.com/article1.htm

"Furthermore, no detrimental side effects have ever been shown. It did not
cause argyria, even in prolonged large dosages. It was not caustic and
instead promoted healing in general. No allergic reactions were ever
reported. It was highly effective for most infections of every kind. "

http://www.bio.uni.edu/cei/lyme.html

"Jarish-Herxheimer Reaction (herx) - First described in syphilis and is a
temporary increase in symptoms after taking antibiotics. When the spirochetes
die, they shed toxins which induce the immune response, resulting in
headache, chills, fever, neck pain, rashes and fatigue."

http://www.xpressnet.com/bhealthy/bhealthy.html#burg

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service

National Institutes of Health
Rocky Mountain Laboratories
Hamilton, Montana 59840
(406) 363-3211
FTS (700) 322-8400

January 13, 1995

Dear Sir:*

This is to inform you that we have received a sample (12 ml) of your
colloidal silver (1,500 ppm) preparation and have evaluated its effectiveness
in a preliminary pilot study against Lyme disease spirochete, Borrelia
burgdorferi (B31) and against the relapsing fever agent, B. Hermsii (HS-1).*

In both tests, BSK cultured spirochetes were treated with 150 and 15 ppm of
colloidal silver. When examined 24 hours later, none of the treated cultures
contained live spirochetes. Few spirochetes, all dead, were observed at 48
hours.

Additional in vitro and in vivo studies are in progress and will be reported
as soon as results become available.

Sincerely yours,

Willy Burgdorfer, Ph.D.
Scientist Emeritus
Rocky Mountain Laboratories

Microscopy Branch
Tom G. Schwan, Ph.D.

Senior Staff Fellow
Laboratory of Microbial Structure and Function

WB/TGS:bk
--------
http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m19738.html

I suppose there is some way to differentiate between Herx and an allergic
reaction to silver per se, but I don't know what it is.

I have personally heard of only one allergic reaction to silver; a man who
worked in jewelry.  His hands became rough, and large cracks appeared.
 When he stopped touching silver, the problem went away.  This anecdotally
relayed to me from a man who worked with the person who developed the
symptoms.   That was very probably sterling silver which contains other
toxic metals, so it may not happen with high-purity silver.

Has anyone done a search of the medical databases for silver allergy?

James Osbourne Holmes
a...@trail.com
---------
http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m19756.html

I've seen one or two reported cases of trumpet players allergic to
silver mouthpieces, reported in a trumpet newsgroup.

John
-------
http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m19770.html

Bet the mouthpieces are sterling or another alloy, and that the sensitivity is
to the zinc, copper or nickel in the alloy.

Marshall
---------