In a message dated 6/22/00 8:09:51 AM EST, i...@win.co.nz writes:

<< Roger,

 I can't find the reference just now, but I believe rather than having a
 DC across the electrodes causing the electrophoresis of the particles in
 the solution, an AC current of fairly high frequency is used, which
 keeps these particle pretty much jiggling in place and avoids the
 plating out which would otherwise occur. If you leave such a meter
 sitting in the solution some plating out is inevitable, which may
 distort the reading.

Ivan: I believe your comments were intended to explain why using a
conductivity meter for measuring CS concentration would not produce
inaccuracies by having silver plate out as long as the CS were removed after
a reading and the cup flushed with DW. However, part of your commentary
sounds very much like my HVAC setup to make CS,

"...an AC current of fairly high frequency is used, which
 keeps these particle pretty much jiggling in place and avoids the
 plating out which would otherwise occur."

So, having a voltage/frequency ratio close to one and not 150 as Marshall has
suggested seems acceptable as long as the frequency is high enough. Perhaps
even 60 Hz should be high enough. If 60 Hz. is OK, wouldn't ~12000 Hz. do the
job -- at ANY voltage? Any thoughts?

Roger