----- Original Message -----
From: <rogalt...@aol.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, 23 June 2000 01:24
Subject: Re: CS>PWT Calibration

> In a message dated 6/22/00 8:09:51 AM EST, i...@win.co.nz writes:
>
> Ivan: I believe your comments were intended to explain why using a
> conductivity meter for measuring CS concentration would not produce
> inaccuracies by having silver plate out as long as the CS were removed
after
> a reading and the cup flushed with DW. However, part of your
commentary
> sounds very much like my HVAC setup to make CS,
>
> "...an AC current of fairly high frequency is used, which
>  keeps these particle pretty much jiggling in place and avoids the
>  plating out which would otherwise occur."
>
> So, having a voltage/frequency ratio close to one and not 150 as
Marshall has
> suggested seems acceptable as long as the frequency is high enough.
Perhaps
> even 60 Hz should be high enough. If 60 Hz. is OK, wouldn't ~12000 Hz.
do the
> job -- at ANY voltage? Any thoughts?
>
> Roger

I'm not sure that the two can be compared Roger. I imagine that having
too high a frequency across submerged electrodes would impede the
dissolution of the silver, as the ions would be sucked back onto it in
short order, if they managed to escape at all (pure speculation).

In your situation, plasma arc, I think the opposite is true. The
frequency would serve to moderate what could otherwise be uncontrolled
melting of the electrode and inferior outcomes. I have welded stainless
steel for years using the gas tungsten arc method, and my present welder
has a pulse feature adjustable to 10KHz (I think) and this is used to
control the amount of heat entering the work and the size of the weld
pool.

Ivan