rogalt...@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/21/00 11:00:04 PM EST, mdud...@execonn.com writes:
>
> << < It appears that for optimum results you need for the voltage/frequency =
>  > 150 or
>  >  so.
>  >
>  > Marshall: How did you arrive at the 150 ratio?
>
>  That seems to be optimum with 60 hertz, 10K volts.  Low voltage requires much
>  lower alternation.  I am assuming a linear relationship, but it may not be.
>
>  > Incidentally, I was told by an
>  > electrical engineer who represents the manufacturer of my solid state (neon
>  > sign) HVAC power supply that its frequency is ~ 12000 Htz at 10,000 volts.
>  > Could you explain the discrepancy between that figure and the 60 Htz you
>  > assume for 10,000 volt AC?
>
>  Sounds like you have one of the high frequency units that uses a small coil
> with a
>  solid state switcher.  I use a plain old transformer that runs at line
> frequency.
>
>  Marshall:
>
> Marshall: Then how does the fact that close to a 1:1 ratio and 150:1 ratio
> impact my HVAC CS product?
>
> Marshall: Perhaps some background on my power supply will help you answer:
> I'm pretty sure that the frequency in not 60 Htz. because a standard
> multimeter set to measure millamps reads a value that's nowhere close (much
> less as I recall) to the constant ~30 ma output that's supposed to be
> delivered by this unit. From what I understand, it seeks a voltage between
> 4000 and 10,000 volts that will deliver this amperage. If system resistance
> is such that the required voltage falls outside this range it cannot operate
> (the power supply is then put on standby -- indicated by a flashing red light
> -- awaiting the resistance to falls into its range. For those not experienced
> with forming plasmas, air resistance can change abruptly and dramatically
> once a gas becomes ionized), although above 10000 volts and below 15,000
> volts it's supposed to generate a reduced current, but I don't think this
> current is sufficient to produce an arc.

I have no idea.  Part of the reason for using high voltage at high frequencies
it
so that the particles are sufficient far from the anode they all do not get
pulled
back on the next half cycle.  At 10 Khtz, the period is so short, I am surprised
you get much production at all.  Perhaps convective currents are assisting by
adding stiring.

I am curious.  How long does it take to produce how much CS using what current?
My setup produces 200 ppm gallon per amp per hour (4 gallon per hour of 5 ppm at
100 mA).

Marshall