Bob and listees,
        It's called the Coriolis Effect and yes it causes water
swirling down a drain to rotate counter-clockwise in the Northern
Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern.  Has to do with the
earth's rotation, gravity and all that.  I doubt there is any reason
to swirl the bottles one way or another because the water and
gravity will take care of the rest.  You don't have to swirl your
toilet or bathtub to get the drain water vortexin' down the drain
after all...
        As to the bar magnets, it seems that the polarity (which
pole is "at the top") should have an effect on the final product
since the "bottom" magnetic pole the water passes is the last to
affect it.  For that matter, why wouldn't the "bottom" magnetic pole
simply cancel (or reverse) any effect from the "top" magnetic pole
leaving a net change of zero?  I would think that you would only
apply the magnetic polarity that would give the desired properties
to the water.

Regards,
George Martin