In a message dated 11/13/00 10:32:09 AM EST, mdud...@execonn.com writes:

<< You do realize that you are describing my system, with two immersed
electrodes,
 with glass tubed over them so only about 1/10 inch is exposed.  I don't
believe
 Bob has tried that yet has he?  He says that immersed electrodes give poor
 quality, a point I can confirm is there is a lot of area on the electrode.
The
 voltage goes down and so does the quality of the colloid.  I find that 10 KV
is
 about optimum for that setup, and it required only the tip of the electrode
to be
 exposed.  Any more and the voltage drops, and the particle size increases.

 Marshall >>

Marshall: Are you letting the surface of the water "run up" to BOTH shrouded
electrode tips which are held slightly above the water, or is one immersed?
If one is immersed is it still shrouded? What size wires do you use and how
far apart are they? I initially tried unshrouded immersion and also got lousy
results. I assume a Pyrex tube is good enough, or do you have to use quartz
tubes? Roger