In a message dated 11/25/00 5:52:58 AM EST, i...@win.co.nz writes:

<< Subj:     Re: CS>Production of Silver Chloride at pH 2
 Date:  11/25/00 5:52:58 AM EST
 From:  i...@win.co.nz (Ivan Anderson)
 To:    silver-list@eskimo.com

 Hi Roger,

 I am not entirely clear what happens to CS in the digestive tract, I
 have trouble finding reliable information...more work to be done. I am
 still of the view that only Ag ions can pass into the blood stream.

 The solubility constant of AgCl (Ksp) = 1.8 x 10^-10
 When concentration [Ag+] = [Cl-]

Ivan: That's an entirely arbitrary assumption for which there is probably no
evidence.

then [Ag] dissolved = 1.34 x 10^-5 M

 Ksp = [Ag+][Cl-]

 10.8ppm CS contains 1.0 x 10^-5 M so that is at the limit of solubility
 with an equivalent amount of Cl-.

Ivan: Again, a conclusion based on an entirely arbitrary assumption.

 Higher concentrations of Cl- (product) gives higher concentration of the
 reactant (AgCl), known as the common ion effect.

Ivan: I think you are a might confused here. There is probably no
concentration of undissociated MOLECULAR AgCl to speak of. When the product
of the concentrations of Ag+ and Cl- reach the solubility product of AgCl
(for a given pH) AgCl CRYSTALS form. Also, the common ion effect is
exemplified when, say, NaCl is added. In this case, the Ag+ concentration
decreases in proportion to the increase of Cl- concentration.

 The concentration of [Cl-] in HCl at pH2 is 1 x 10^-2 M
 [Ag-] = 1.8 x 10^-10 / 1.0 x 10^-2 = 1.8 x 10^-8 M

Ivan: I think you are ignoring the influence of pH on the solubility product
of AgCl(s). Otherwise, your calculation is OK.

 So only 1/500th to 1/1000th of our initial 10ppm CS will remain
 dissolved, the rest is passed on as insoluble AgCl, although higher
 temperatures increase the solubility and I am as yet unsure on the
 effect of the H+ ions and other enzymes, proteins and so on. Also if the
 concentration of Cl- anions drops in the duodenum the solubility of the
 Ag+ ions will increase.

 What do you make of it?

Ivan: I still need you to explain to me how clusters of silver metal
particles which have a net positive charge of one (as represented by CS) will
interact the way you have described above. I also need to know what is
present in the stomach which will convert the bulk of the CS which is in the
form of neutral silver metal into INDIVIDUAL silver ions. Roger

 Ivan.