itssu...@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Old Bob:
>
> My Grandmother always kept a silver dollar in the milk, and one in the
> rain
> barrel out by the barn.  Grandma was born in 1897, so she might have
> been
> considered "old Americana."  Over the years, those silver dollars got
> pretty
> thin and worn looking.
> I have no idea what chemical reaction might have taken place with
> these old
> silver dollars.

The only reaction I know of that silver will enter into easily is with
sulfur.  Both silver sulfide and silver sulfate are slightly soluable,
so I suspect that the silver reacts with the sulfur, tarnishes, and the
tarnish slowly dissolves.  If the milk was kept in a metal container,
then the reaction could have been galvanic, and actually made CS right
in the milk I suppose.

Marshall