  From: itssu...@aol.com
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 10:42 PM
  Subject: Re: CS-silver in olden times

  Hi Old Bob:

  My Grandmother always kept a silver dollar in the milk, and one in the rain
  barrel out by the barn.  Grandma was born in 1897, so she might have been
  considered "old Americana."  Over the years, those silver dollars got pretty
  thin and worn looking.
  I have no idea what chemical reaction might have taken place with these old
  silver dollars.  The milk always tasted fresh, with or without refrigeration
  (the milk came straight from the cow in those early days, and not the grocery
  store).

  One of the reasons that brought me to this board to begin with, was to try to
  figure out what Grandma knew about silver and keeping milk fresh, along with
  water.  To this day, we add either a silver wire (or now CS) to the milk from
  the store.  We rarely use milk and this prolongs its shelf life
significantly.

  As kids, when we would get a skinned knee or elbow, grandma would tape a
  silver dollar to the knee or elbow.  Don't know if it actually did any good,
  or made us feel better, but things healed quickly, and I don't ever remember
  getting an infection.

  suzy

    Hear Ye Hear Ye;