In a message dated 3/23/01 3:54:14 PM EST, mdud...@execonn.com writes:

<< Subj:     Re: CS-silver in olden times
 Date:  3/23/01 3:54:14 PM EST
 From:  mdud...@execonn.com (Marshall Dudley)
 To:    silver-list@eskimo.com

 It's not that low.  In cold water it is .2 ppm and in warm water higher. (CRC
 Handbook specified as .00002 grams per 100 cc).  Thus a gallon of cold milk
 could dissolve about .8 mg of silver if the sulfur is available.  A family
that
 goes through 3 gallons of milk a week could would dissolve about 2.5 mg of
 silver sulfide a week, and a 1 oz silver coin would lose 10% of its thickness
 in about 1000 weeks or 20 years. Thus coins that are done this way for a
 generation or two could become noticably thinner.  The effect would be higher
 in a rain barrel since there is more water and it is warmer.

 Marshall

Marshall: Something isn't right. I just looked up the Solubility Product of
silver sulfide. It's 6 * 10 ^-51. I noticed that AgSO3 is 1.5*10^-14 and
AgSO4 is 1.4 * 10^-5, but as I said earlier, I don't believe these compounds
will form at the expense of silver sulfide. Why not check the silver sulfide
Solubility Product with your own references. Roger