This was just posted on the beck rife list...same problem there. Directions
how to fix.
~Hanan

<FWD>

I was targeted by a worm sent via an attachment from someone on a

yahoo list I am on.  The thing was very sneaky in that it quoted bits

from one of my posts to the list, as thought this gal were replying

to me privately.

After that I couldn't access the list homepage, but luckily I had

some digests to read -- and lo and behold, there were several posts

about this very thing.  And even more luckily, one of the members of

the list is an expert in computer security, who posted a description

and fix.  I don't think I sent the worm to any of you because I

didn't re-boot between the time I downloaded the file and the time I

did the fix, but I post it in case any of you were hit elsewhere.

<<Subject: The attachment is a worm.

Win32.Badtrans.13312

Badtrans is a worm spreading via e-mail. The worm replies to all

unread messages and attaches itself using one of the following 16

names:

fun.pif

Humor.TXT.pif

docs.scr

s3msong.MP3.pif

Sorry_about_yesterday.DOC.pif

Me_nude.AVI.pif

Card.pif

SETUP.pif

searchURL.scr

YOU_are_FAT!.TXT.pif

hamster.ZIP.scr

news_doc.scr

New_Napster_Site.DOC.scr

README.TXT.pif

images.pif

Pics.ZIP.scr

When a user opens the attachment, the worm copies itself to the

Windows directory as:

inetd.exe

and modifies the file win.ini by including the line executing that

program.

Additionally, the Badtrans worm, drops a backdoor trojan

(Win32.Badtrans.21882 Trojan). The worm creates and executes a 21882-

byte file in the Windows System directory:

kern32.exe

and modifies the registry in order to run it on the next reboot:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\kernel32=kern32

.exe

The Trojan, which is in fact a backdoor server also uses its own

library:

hksdll.dll (a 5632-byte file created in the same directory).

To fix:

First:

search your hard drive for the files named INETD.EXE, KERN32.EXE and

CP_23421.NLS. Delete them.

Then:

Run SYSEDIT by clicking START-RUN. On RUN Window type SYSEDIT then

click OK.

In SYSTEM CONFIGURATION EDITOR select the window C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI

then  delete the entry "C:\WINDOWS\INETD.EXE" under RUN key.

All done.>>