Dear list,

I note the subject of stirring your CS as it brews is again popular, and
various schemes of using small high speed DC motors have been described.

What is best is stirring in the range of 30 - 60 RPM.  This slow, gentle
stirring is ideal and is what a few commercial generators use.

All Electronics sells two small 110 Volt AC gear motors that are just what
is needed for making your own stirring gizmo.
1) Catalog # ACM-108 is a 40 RPM motor for $2.50.  This one has a longer
shaft than the 30 RPM model.
2) Catalog # ACM-105 is a 30 RPM motor for $2.50

Click on "SHOP Our ON_LINE Store", then "Motors", then "AC Gear Motors"

I have used the 30 RPM motor with great success.  I use the handles of heavy
duty clear plastic picnic knives, commonly sold in grocery stores, as my
stirring paddles.  I cut off the handles and file or grind a short section
to match the same square shape as the motor shaft.  A short length of
plastic tubing force fit over the shaft and paddle makes a simple coupling.

You can buy from All Electronics on-line at www.allelectronics.com.

Hope this helps,
--Steve