With all this discussion of stirring motors, let me add a comment...

I've got a small motor on my unit now, and run it off the same supply
I'm using for the cell voltage.

I use one set of series resistors to limit cell current, and another
set of series resistors to limit the motor voltage/current to the least
that will reliably *run* the motor.

Note, however, that most motors will *run* at a lower voltage than they
need to *start*. So far, as I've got the thing breadboarded, I've just
been briefly shorting out part of the dropping resistor network to
temporarily increase voltage to get the motor to start.

In the interest of keeping things as simple as possible, I think that
an electrolytic capacitor accross part of the dropping network for the
motor would do the same thing as I'm doing with a brief short circuit.

Something like this (use monospaced font):

              |-------[R1]-----> to cell anode electrode

Supply (+) >--|

Thoughts? Can anybody work out componant values for this circuit for
the Radio Shack 99 cent motor? I'm using a rather odd motor and power
supply, so my setup isn't readily copied by others...

Be well,

Mike D.