go to:
http://www.mindfully.org/
do a search for phthalate
http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=5093913&pageid=r&mode1=ALL&que
ry=phthalate&mode=Match+ALL+words
see some "published literature"and make up your own mind.
for me its just one more part of the toxic load affecting endocrine
and immune system.

from:
http://www.greenpeace.org/~toxics/reports/cleanpro.pdf
"On January 15 1998, a Government Strategy on chemicals was
published, which includes ‘phasing out the use of problematic
chemicals’, and refers to the future publication of a ‘phthalate
action plan’ and a ‘PVC investigation’ (expected to cover the use of
stabilisers,
collection of PVC waste, recycling and disposal).
A national ban on phthalate plasticisers in toys and childcare
articles for infants under 3 came into force on April 1 1998.
Companies are given one year to clear existing stock, and
inflatable toys are allowed until 1 January 2003."