  From: brooks bradley [mailto:liat...@flash.net]
  Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 10:00 PM
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Subject: Re: CS Tip of Possible Interest

                  Dear Arnold,
          Although there was no, definitive,  data accumulated positively
establishing efficacy of ionic vs particulate agents......the anecdotal
evidence did seem to favor, somewhat, particulate agencies.  We utilized
solutions of varying ratios, from 90% ionic X 10% particulate, to 70% ionic
X 30% particulate.  The anecdotal results did, in fact, accrue in favor of
the higher particulate liquids.  However, since the control rates of all
solutions were so high (never lower than 80%), it is rather academic----and
speculative---to attempt to use this (uncontrolled) study as a basis for
establishing an effectiveness superiority.....for one or the other.
                  Our staff seems to be divided over this issue;  and,
probably, rightly so.  The reason being that the exact range of efficacy of
pure ionic vs pure particulate solutions has---to our knowledge---never been
scientifically concluded (especially considering the difficulty of
generating CS of 100% solely ionic, or solely particulate nature).  To wit:
by establishing a suitable range of tests over a variety of repeatable
conditions-----especially in vivo----which would allow objective results to
be unfailingly quantified.
                      It is my PERSONAL opinion that high particulate
concentratilons do, indeed, exhibit superior control effects for topical
applications----most especially in cases where residual mass/volume of the
control agent are of increased consideration.  I am not so confident about
in vivo circumstances.
              In closure I would suggest that the course of prudence would
suggest a CS containing at least 10% particulate silver derivatives.  I do
suspect that each demonstrates advantages under different specific
circumstances;  if correct, recommending a policy for using CS solutions
containing appreciable percentages of both representatives, appears most
sensible.
              Hoping I have not opened the door for excessive
conjecture......
                  Sincerely,  Brooks Bradley