In reality, it was Linus Paulings Institute that had to gain since one
of his major contributers was a company that produced and distributed
vitamin c. Dr. Art Robinson who trained under and headed Paulings institute
for quite a number of years had everything to lose. He in fact was fired for
his research which went against everything Pauling had been saying at that
time.  There were also other institutions such as the Mayo Clinic which
showed what Pauling was saying was not true.  Here is part of an article
about Pauling from AIM.org(accuracy in media) which explains a lot about him
that the mainstream media never reported.

Severo's(The New York Times) lengthy obituary skirted around kookier details
of his career. In his own field of chemistry, Pauling was frequently
criticized as grabbing credit for research done by colleagues. When he
ventured into medicine, as a windy advocate of Vitamin C as a cure-all
panacea for everything from the common cold to AIDS and drug addiction,
Pauling defended such quacks as a California physician who treated cervical
cancer with coffee and buttermilk enemas. He was tantamount to a food
faddist poster boy during his last decades.

In political affairs, Pauling was the epitome of the useful idiot so
skillfully exploited by the Soviet Union during the Cold War. He lent his
name---and prestige as a Nobel laureate---to a nuclear ban campaign
orchestrated by the Kremlin. That the campaign put his own nation at risk
did not concern Pauling, a chronic publicity hound. Wearing his trademark
black beret, Pauling pranced on picket lines from Washington to San
Francisco, a puppet of Soviet operatives working to weaken America's defense
and internal security agencies.

Dr. Thomas Jukes, professor of medical physics at the University of
California at Berkeley, and a member of AIM's national advisory board, was a
Pauling watcher for years. He questioned whether Pauling's celebrity was due
to original work or a knack for self-promotion. Jukes wrote, "Was Pauling
mentally superior to practically all other human beings? Did his mind work
faster and better than any others? He alleged that his meditations produced
insight that revealed the answer to scientific problems. Did he have unique
mental powers in this regard? Was he a real scientific super-giant? Or was
he unusually skilled at using the ideas of other people and publicizing them
as his own?"

As an example of Pauling's glory-grabbing, Jukes cited his claim to the
discovery of the alpha helix in protein structure, a landmark event. James
Watson, in his book The Double Helix, described how Pauling had presented
his claim during a lecture: "The words came out as if he had been in show
business all his life. A curtain kept his model hidden until near the end of
his lecture, when he proudly unveiled his latest creation. Then, with his
eyes twinkling, Linus explained the specific characteristics that made his
model--the alpha helix-uniquely beautiful."

But as Jukes noted, "The alpha helix was not his discovery. It was that of a
black colleague, Dr. Herman Branson." Branson later became president of
Lincoln University in Pennsylvania. Branson gave his account of the
discovery in a 1984 letter to persons writing a Pauling biography.

In 1948-49, while working under Pauling at the California Institute of
Techology, Branson was asked to do research on how amino acids might be
arranged in a protein molecule. To summarize a very technical scientific
matter, Branson proposed a single helix. Pauling disagreed with Branson,
telling him that it was "too tight" to fit a protein molecule. But Branson
went ahead and constructed a model showing the alpha helix. A Pauling
associate named Corey saw it and said, "Well, I'll be damned." Branson wrote
up his findings in the summer of 1949 and went on to other work.

A year later Pauling wrote up the discovery listing Corey and Branson as
co-authors. In 1988 he published a book in which he took all the credit for
the discovery, saying that he found it by folding paper. Branson was not
mentioned. Branson wrote that he "resented" how Pauling had handled the
matter.

Pauling's biographers, Ted G. Goertzel and his parents Victor and Mildred,
wrote, "In the case of DNA, Pauling rushed into print with a paper that
incorporated errors so basic that they should have been caught by any
student who has mastered Pauling's introductory chemistry text....Apparently
Pauling was willing to risk making errors in the hope that he would be given
credit for publishing the first, even if partly incorrect, model of DNA."

Jukes showed that Pauling took credit (along with colleagues) for findings
concerning molecular disease that actually had been documented by a British
scientist, Dr. A.E. Garrod, in 1908---when Pauling was seven years old.

IgNobel Conduct

Pauling's most publicized legacy, his advocacy of mega-doses of Vitamin C to
counter cancer and' the common cold, well could be a legacy of harm to human
health. Pauling's zealotry persuaded millions of Americans to put their
faith in Vitamin C. Unfortunately, few of these persons realized the dangers
they incur by following Pauling's advice.

Pauling commenced his Vitamin C crusade in 1966, when (at age 65) he
casually remarked at a banquet that he would like to live 15 or 20 years
longer. A man named Irwin Stone suggested taking massive doses of Vitamin C.
Rather than doing any scientific research on whether the substance actually
helped human health, Pauling eagerly signed on as a Vitamin C advocate. His
book, Vitamin C and the Common Cold, published in 1970, was a national
best-seller for weeks. He claimed that one gram daily would cut the
incidence of common colds by 45 percent for most persons, and that others
might need larger amounts. A second edition, issued in 1976 as Vitamin C,
The Common Cold and the Flu, recommended even higher dosages.

No less than 16 clinical studies concluded that Pauling was preaching
nonsense. One of the stronger dismissals came from the American Psychiatric
Association, in contesting Pauling's claim that vitamin therapy might
alleviate schizophrenia. The APA wrote, "The credibility of the megavitamin
proponents is low. Their credibility is further diminished by a consistent
refusal over the past decade to perform controlled experiments and to report
their results in a scientifically acceptable fashion. Under these
circumstances, [the APA] considers the massive publicity which they
promulgate via radio, the lay press and popular books...to be deplorable."

Severo's obituary did mention that researchers at the Mayo Clinic and
elsewhere had challenged Pauling's claim about the efficacy of Vitamin C as
a cancer preventative. But he gave surprisingly short shrift to a tumultous
episode involving Dr. Arthur B. Robinson, a onetime Pauling student who
later worked at the Pauling Institute of Science and Medicine. In the 1970s
Robinson did clinical tests on mice to evaluate the physical effects of high
dosages of Vitamin C. To the dismay of his mentor, Robinson discovered that
the quantities of Vitamin C recommended by Pauling doubled the incidence of
skin cancer.

Pauling responded by firing Robinson and destroying his laboratory data and
killing the experimental mice. He also accused Robinson of "amateurish"
science. Robinson sued Pauling and his institute for libel and slander and
collected an out-of-court settlement of $575,000--of which $425,000 was for
damages, the remainder for legal fees. (An exhaustive account of the
Robinson affair ran in Barron's on June 11, 1979.)

The Robinson case was important because it showed that Pauling wittingly
suppressed the scientific record in order to protect his unproven Vitamin C
theories. Why was he so vigorous in defending a medical theory that in fact
could harm persons?

Columnist Colman McCarthy, a Pauling chum, offered an interesting theory in
The Washington Post (Aug. 27) for the disdain with which the medical
community held his idol. "Such conventional treaters of colds as physicians
beholden to drug companies and their high-priced pills tried to dismiss
Pauling as a dabbler in quackery," McCarthy wrote. Perhaps. But as Dr. James
Lowell wrote in Nutrition Forum in May 1985, 'The largest corporate donor
(over $500,000) to Pauling's institute has been Hoffman- La Roche, the
pharmaceutical giant which is the dominant factor
in world-wide production of Vitamin C. Many of the institute's individual
donors have been solicited with the help of Rodale Press (publishers of
Prevention magazine) and related organizations which have publicized the
institute and allowed the use of their mailing lists."

The New York Times's distortion of the validity of Pauling' s work continued
after the glowing Severo obituary. On August 28 the Times published a letter
from Stephen Lawson, chief executive officer of the Linus Pauling Institute,
continuing the argument that Vitamin C helped reduce the incidence of
cancer, and dismissing debunking by scientists at the Mayo Clinic and
elsewhere.

Dr. Victor Herbert, of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, rebutted Lawson
in a letter which the Times did not publish. He wrote, "Vitamin C is not
only worthless against heart disease and cancer, but harmful..."

The Faddists' Friend

Another facet of Pauling's career ignored by the Times was his record of
defending fellow faddists, including some accused of highly questionable
medical practices. In 1984 he appeared before the California Board of
Medical Quality Assurance on behalf of a Mill Valley physician who attended
a 56-year-old woman diagnosed as having treatable cervical cancer. The
physician chose to treat her with no less than 99 remedies, including coffee
and buttermilk enemas, herbs and enzymes. She died.

Twin boys aged four years, who complained of earache, were treated with
coffee enemas twice daily and 70,000 units of Vitamin A. Pauling's testimony
was that coffee enemas might have had value because they clean out the lower
bowel. Despite Pauling's efforts, the physician lost his license.

In another case, Pauling defended a vitamin promoter who sold by mail a
paper test to measure Vitamin C levels in the urine. He claimed that keeping
a constant flow "probably offers 100 percent protection against bladder
cancer." He also asserted that Vita- min C could cure drug addiction. The
postal inspectors put the man out of business.