CS Listers,
I am hoping someone here may have a knowledge of chemistry that will
help guide us in the firing of colloidal silver onto earthenware water
purifiers.  In the past I have fired AgNO3, the nitrate onto the
purifiers, however a byproduct is a lot of carbon in the filtering media
when firing in a reduction atmosphere. The filter ends up being black,
so is not attractive to prospective users. So I want to fire on the
colloid, but am unsure what will happen.

Recent microbiological tests with CS saturated purifiers have
reconfirmed 100% removal of fecal coliforms (plus total coliforms and
all bacteria), but we need to do a bit of analytical chemistry to
determine any CS that may end up in the filtrate, flushed from the
purifier. Makers of similar filters in Central America are getting 100%
removal of the bacteria even one year after saturation and first use,
but they apply ten times the amount of CS they consider necessary, just
to account for the amount that flushes out over time.

My understanding is that while CS ions are trapped within the permeable
structural of the filter medium these will continue to be effective in
this form.  On the other hand it has been my impression that heating to
about 475C, the first visible red, will cause the ion to gain a positive
charge, thus becoming the metallic silver. Past bacteriological testing
has proven the metalic silver is also 100% effective. My impression is
that the silver metal has a bond with the ceramic, so that it cannot be
so readily flushed away as is the case with the ion. Any observations
from list members that will shed light on the chemistry involved at the
475C would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Reid Harvey, gearing up to produce water purifiers for the poor
The Arsenic Research Group
Dhaka, Bangladesh
To read a recent presentation on earthenware water purifier candles,
click:
http://phys4.harvard.edu/~wilson/remediation/ACER.html
To find out how the earthenware candles are made, click:
http://www.geocities.com/ceramafrique/tour/A.htm