  From: rogalt...@aol.com [mailto:rogalt...@aol.com]
  Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2001 12:11 PM
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Subject: Re: CS>Firing CS onto water purifiers

  In a message dated 10/6/2001 9:51:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
quiet...@midcoast.com writes:

    Reid wrote:
    > The main reason we cannot apply the CS until after
    > the first firing is that it is necessary to reach at least 700 or
    > 800C, and preferrably 900C, in order to achieve good strength. In this
    > way the earthenware becomes hard and strong enough to help insure a
    > long lifetime.  It is a problem that the silver will burn off at a
    > much lower temperature than 700.

    [Quietcove] The boiling point for silver is 1068C. Would it burn
    off below it's boiling point?

  I think you're confusing the boiling point of silver with the melting point
of gold. Silver melts at 962C and boils at
2162C. Silver oxide is not stabile above about 150C (if memory serves). Roger