Reid,
        I haven't jumped in because this is something I remember
from discussions several years ago with the folks that produce
ceramic filters similar to the Daulton or British Berkefeld type.

        They construct the filter element from diatomaceous earth.
This gives a (memory here) absolute filteration below 1 micron
(99.99%)  and particles down to 0.2 microns are removed with close
to 98% effectiveness.

        They somehow use silver nitrate to saturate the filters
which is reduced to metallic silver by application of heat.  The
water takes 10 - 15 minutes to pass through the filter and the
prolonged contact with the metallic silver produces the desired
bacteriostatic action.

Regards,
George Martin