The voltage tripler makes sense for the Beck pulser device, because you wear it
and batteries are heavy and bulky, so one battery is better than 3.

It's a nice project for CS makers, but not really necessary.

Even battery eliminators come in different voltages, so pick one up that puts
out what you want. I've even come across them at closeout discount stores that
allow you to select at least 3 different voltages. Cheap too, $4 or $5.
Look in the audio electronics section. Don't even worry about current ratings,
anything you get will be more than you need. Just get the DC voltage you need
(up to maybe 35volts).
                                                        Chuck
Every program has at least one bug and one unnecessary instruction--therefore,
every program can be reduced to one instruction that doesn't work!