I reship lost or damaged shipments...it happens [rarely, and almost all
are very honest...thank goodness] and I 'eat' it.
 Is that a defense?
So far as loss and damage goes...offer insurance?

 I see your point...that thin line between explanation and defense in a
field where a small percentage of customers are emotionally oriented and
can't seem to think their way out of a wet paper bag, read or follow the
clearest directions.
 I had one person call and complain that they hadn't gotten electrodes with
their generator...they were holding them in a small brown envelope stapled
to the directions on how to insert them in one hand, and the phone in the
other.

Hey! I've done that too! [cringe :-)]
Never hurts to ask directions out of a wet paper bag. Everyone gets lost in
their own bedroom sometimes. [Ever look for a fork in the fridge, then
forget what you're looking for and wind up staring at the food?]

 "Satisfaction gauranteed" requires that the vendor be notified of
dissatisfaction.

 If the first indication of dissatisfaction rears up on list, I think it
permissable to indicate that there was no notification and the vendor had
no chance to remedy the situation.
 Then perhaps the complainer should post what happened after communication
[off list, of course..or, on list, as the customer sees fit] was established.
 If they don't, perhaps the vendor could request it be done.
 If still not done...communications be posted by the vendor?

But a statement like, "It's a $145 cheap shoddy piece of crap that fell
apart in my hands and the vendor does not respond to repeated attempts at
communication or basically said, 'buyer beware'" [go-f*k-u].... is pretty
clear.
ken

At 11:46 AM 10/26/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Ode Coyote wrote:
>
>> Personally speaking [as a vendor], I would want to know what I did wrong
so I could set it right if possible.
>> Ken
>
>I agree. What is a vendor to do if a shipment gets lost and the complaint
here is the first they heard about it?  What if the complaint can be easily
explained.  I.E. our product DOES show a little fallout upon setting.  The
reason is that we do not filter out any larger particles since we found
that filters contaminate the CS and cause real stability problems.  How
would one differentiate between the discussion of the "reason" for
something, and a defense of an unacceptable action?