It appears that silver nitrate is being used again on babies:

http://www.parenthoodweb.com/articles/phw1380.htm
http://www.sangfroid.com/babypix/plan.html
http://www.lamaze.com/baby/firsthour/articles/0,9474,167862_80951,00.html

>From what I recall silver nitrate was discontinued in the 70's due to
pharmacutical companies pressing for the use of patented antibiotics which
would earn them more money.

Sometime (I believe in the late 80's in Knoxville), a hospital was sued because
a baby went blind because the antibiotic was not broad enough spectrum to kill
something it was exposed to in the birth canal.  At the trial they presented
evidence that silver notrate would have killed it and that the only reason they
stopped using silver nitrate was to increase profits by using a patented
antibiotic. I remember thinking at the time it serves them right, even though I
knew nothing of CS at the time.

I did not realize they had started using it again until a little while ago when
I was researching the history.  Since they now offer both, my suspicion is that
they are doing this to cover themselves against another law suit, but tell the
parents that the "silver nitrate" will burn the eyes to get them to use the
other as much as possible.

Marshall