aliso...@ihug.co.nz wrote:

> My mothers batch, even after an hour she could not see "wisps"
> tho she had the rising bubbles and the "tarnished" rods.  Can we
> assume that she has made CS?  Yes, she did use distilled water
> at room temperature.  She is 65 and her eyes are not as good as
> they once were.  Maybe there is a possibility that she just didnt
> "see" the wisps as they were so fine.  I would be grateful for any
> opinion here.  What indication does one get when the batteries are
> going flat?

Have her get a laser pointer and look for the tyndall.  That can be seen
with very poor eyesight and gives a crude approximation of how much CS you
have.

> Also, what is the shelf life of CS?  I was wondering about putting
> some in a small bottle and keeping it in my handbag for any
> eventuality.  Does anyone else do this?  Is it adviseable?

Good quality that is kept at room temperature and in the dark seems to keep
indefinitely. Lower quality, or if any impurities are introduced into the CS
can lead to an early loss of activity.  For instance, I had one person who
repeatedly kept reporting that our CS would aggregate and fall out in a few
weeks although other samples of the same batch would keep indefinitely.
Took a while to figure out that the problem was that he was drinking from
the CS bottle, and the small amount of spit being introduced was causing it
to aggregate over time.

Marshall