I Anderson wrote:

> Marshall,
>
> You seem so sure that silver oxide exists in CS solutions ...why?
>
> There is little, if any, molecular oxygen atoms in d. water, and none
> produced at the anode,

Hun?  Electrolysis produces oxygen at the anode.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~famistew/hydrogen/electro.htm

> if silver is being ionised there as silver
> ionises at 0.79V as opposed to the 1.6V (or there abouts) required to
> rip oxygen from water molecules.

In the later stages of production, if the current is allowed to go way up, I
have seen bubbles produced at both electrodes.  If hydrogen is being
produced at the cathode, then 1/2 as much oxygen HAS to be produced at the
anode. You can't produce one without the other beyond the absorption level
of water.

> It is my understanding that the colour of CS solutions is a result of
> the particle size.

Absolutely.

> The greyish build up on the cathode is simply reduced silver ions, ie
> silver metal fluff.

I think there is silver oxide when the process is run too long.  First when
that happens the CS will get a bitter taste which I associate with being
alkaline.  With silver, hydrogen and oxygen as the only elements present,
silver oxide and silver hydroxide are the only compounds I know of that can
do this.  Theoretically silver hydroxide could be made at the cathode, and
silver oxide at the anode, where there is lots of free monoatomic hydrogen
or oxygen.  Silver hydroxide spontaneously degrades to silver oxide rather
quickly, so I believe that there can be trace amounts of it present in CS
that is "overdone", and that is what contributes the bitter taste.

Marshall