The oft repeated claim from the alternative healing sector that cancer cells
operate via a fermentation metabolism and thus are susceptible to
oxygenation (Warburg hypothesis) is appealing and I hope true. Stephen
Barret of Quackwatch has justifiably received bad press here re CS safety.
But that doesn't mean he gets it all wrong. On the matter of cancer cell
metabolism, the following from
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/oxygen.html is
worth some serious pondering:

"Does anaerobic metabolism cause cancer?
In a 1961 monograph [7], Aisenberg reviewed and analyzed the subject of
energy metabolism in normal and tumor tissues. He concluded that most
carcinogens are not respiratory poisons; most respiratory poisons are not
carcinogens; oxygen neither prevents nor inhibits cancer growth; tumor cells
grow optimally in tissue culture dishes in atmosphere containing 20% oxygen;
tumors grow rapidly in tissues that are well supplied with oxygenated blood;
absence of oxygen does not stimulate tumor growth in vitro or in vivo;
agents effective against cancer interfere with DNA synthesis, not with
aerobic metabolism; tumors do not get a significant amount of their energy
from anaerobic metabolism; tumors can and do produce energy by an
oxygen-driven metabolism of fats and carbohydrates.

Since the mid 1960s, information amassed has identified cancer initiation,
promotion, and progression. Alteration of genetic regulation through DNA
damage, oncogene activation, and inhibitor dysregulation give rise to
abnormally proliferating cancer cells. There is no evidence of "poisoning"
in the respiratory enzyme systems of tumor tissues. Although Warburg
discovered some differences in metabolism between normal and cancer cells,
research did not bear out what he considered to be the "primary cause of
cancer," i.e., the replacement of respiration by fermentation.[7]."

Worth reading the rest of that article also. Comments anyone?

Kevin Nolan