> First off, are goats ruminants (sp)?

Yes, they are ruminants.

> If they are, then drinking it would not be a good idea.  I would think
that IV would be the best method if you know what you are doing.  Spraying
it up their noses or injecting it may not get it where it needs to go.  Just
my opinion.

Wouldn't the addition of probiotics be enough to keep the good bacteria in
their rumens?  If possible, I am looking for the easiest method of CS
administration that would still render it effective for this virus.  I am
not experienced with needles, #1, infact we NEVER use needles here, but I am
willing to find someone more experienced to help me administer via IV, if
necessary, as I think CS will work.  More than 65% of the US dairy goat
population tests positive for CAE, per the Merck Vet Manual '98 edition.
Many just kill these CAE positive goats.  Many could not afford the vet
costs associated with IV's.  Thusly, I am hoping to find a cheap method of
administration, so that others might benefit, if we can prove it works
orally or nasally.  I am personally willing to do whatever it takes and find
those necessary to help me with IV's, if required, but I know those with
large dairy goat farms would not be willing to expense for the vet care
costs.

A friend of mine recently cured a goat of listeriosis with CS nasally.
Listeriosis is a bacterial disease.  She had already lost one goat to this
disease using penecillin.   On two occassions, I have administered CS
nasally to myself and the 2nd time I got too many drops at once, which shot
directly to my brain (UGH) and left me spell bound for about 45 seconds, so
I believe nasally, it would reach the brain, which is one area CAE affects
the goats.

Thank you so much for your input.  I welcome any other thoughts or ideas.  I
plan to research this thoroughly, before jumping in and doing anything, but
hopefully by late summer we will be using CS on these goats.

Hugs & Howls,

Julie & Critters