The LED modules you guys are looking at are not really intense enough
for low level light therapy (LLLT)

The Jameco part has a maximum intensity of 12,000 mcd

The BGgmicro parts have a maximum intensity 7,700 mcd

Whereas the Digikey part (67-1589-ND) has a max intensity of 48,000
mcd and is much more likely to produce results.

I have single red LEDs that produce 6,000 mcd.

Search for LLLT (many hits for laser, but the coherency of the light
is lost as it enters the tissue and LEDs do just as well). Also try
LED phototherapy.

This is a well researched and serious treatment modality. Visible red
light (660nm) penetrates the tissue 25 - 50mm and interacts with the
mitochondria directly, causing an increase in cellular energy
production, and increased rates of DNA and RNA transcription, (i.e.
increased healing) among other things. Near infrared (700 - 800nm)
interacts with the cellular membranes, causes the production of
singlet oxygen radicals (at levels high enough to oxidise pathogens
but not high enough to cause cellular damage) and increases the
potential difference across the membrane allowing for optimum entry of
nutrients and expulsion of waste.

Apart from Brook's highly innovative and important use of this simple
technology, red light can be used to halt bruising (use instead of
ice) limit or halt inflammation, lessen pain, and speed healing of
sprains, contusions, ulcers and so on.

My units are in constant use by the family and friends, and now my
daughters school is wishing for a unit (which I will donate) ever
since I brought a portable one to the sick bay for my daughter to use,
a boy had dropped a chair on her toe. Within minutes of use (the
school reports) the pain and swelling had gone, the shoe was on and
she was outside with her team having netball practice.

One would do well to build a LED phototherapy unit.

Ivan