The modern assessment of depression is that it's a result of an imbalance of brain chemicals.
This is true enough, but, it's the thought processes and associated activities that tell the body to produce those chemicals.
People run out of reasons to be happy and active.

The cure [for most people] is to come to the realization that all reasons are 'made up' by their own minds.
The only difference between a reason and an excuse is that someone else can accept the excuse and call it a reason.
Get the heck up a do something! It doesn't matter 'what or why'. I mean, like, crawl to the mailbox and stare at the spider webs like they were art!

Be unreasonably happy.

If you need an excuse [and you don't]...even a really bad one will do just fine. Make one up...just like you made up all the reasons/excuses to be depressed.
The best reason I've found for anything is, 'cause I wanna'. The only reason I do ANYTHING is 'cause i wanna' If someone else doesn't follow through, that doesn't affect 'cause I wanna'.
I can make up any reason I want to enforce 'cause I wanna' and give it all the weight I want...'cause I wanna.

The only worthwhile excuse to use prozac or whatever is to remind yourself that you CAN feel good and be happy.

A former sufferer who discovered that I was choosing.
Screw "reasons". I wanna be happy and energetic.
If i find myself depressed, I know it's 'cause I wanna..and I'll do it till I get bored.
Depression is the most boring think I can do.
Thank goodness that no one would have anything to do with me while I was doin that!
Ken :-)