Hi Beth, more testimonials, but yes it works topically at the least, and
probably helps by mouth.
There's some good info on a patented (by a M.D.) use of  a bandage made of
nylon impregnated  with silver on a site called silverlon.  There are a
number of good peer reviewed references on that site that examine the way
the silver particles work to not only eliminate infection but also to
promote healing.

http://www.silverlon.com/studies.html

Take care,  Malcolm