How much current to use depends on electrode area, spacing and hydration rates enhanced by mechanical, bubbler or thermal water current stirring.
I use .68 to .7ma [milliamps] with 1 5/8" spacing of 12gauge x 3 3/8" silver wires for thermal stir and unstirred distilled water
and 2ma [or, recently, just under that at 1.86 ma] millamps for the same setup with mechanical stirring.

That works well for nearly everyone. Doubling both the current and electrode area doesn't necessarily work very well. Apparently, the relationship is not linear.
Doubling the electrode area and keeping the current the same is a safe bet..and speeds things up.
You can't have too much electrode but you can use too much current.
Make it adjustable and experiment.
Ken