The connecting thread is that your friend agreed to the outrageous charges. No one forced that. Both parties voluntarily participated for their own reasons.

There is a common belief that you get what you pay for, so, some folks don't believe that anything that is inexpensive can have any great value. With that thought in mind...it doesn't.

People who buy Volvos and Mercedes, which the average Toyota will match or outlast, have that mind set.
A Mercedes water pump at $260 is exactly the same as a $60 Toyota water pump. Why does the Mercedes owner think he/she is getting a good deal?
I don't care.

Mind set and belief system.
Misperceptions held dearly, looking for validation. Certainty by denial looking for something to hide the ommission behind.

WE all do what works for us, no matter how crazy it may seem to someone else.
I could call you anything I want and you will still think what you think.
I could say "look here" and your eyes will still do what YOU want them to.
I think I have better things to do than engage in frustration plays.
I have enough trouble changing my own mind without wasting my energies trying to change yours.

So, in the vain attempt to change someone else into believing a whole genre of people are evil with no exceptions, what evil are you avoiding in you?
It's all too obvious that there's something hidden from self. Words said about another are a mirror of the speakers internal state of affairs.

Carry on! {Oh , how we pointlessly carry on}
Ken