There would be no Tyndall cone in a solution devoid of any particles,
indeed, a CS made with low current density and current regulation will
have  a cone so faint, that it is impossible to see unless in a
darkened room.
Many CS generators are not current controlled and do allow a build up
of up to 15% to 20% larger particles and therefore do display a
distinct cone.
Ionic solution makers are looking for little in the way of a Tyndall
Effect.
A laser pointer is ideal for producing a cone which is compact and
easy to see. The cone should be homogenous and have no individual
points of light (sparkles), which would indicate very large particles
and a less than ideal brew. A laser pointer does not produce a light
beam in a solution.

Yes, I think it is fair to say you have been mislead.

Regards
Ivan.