Here's another one! (Bureaucrats have neither common sense nor a sense of
humor!!)

In 1962 as a Junior at the University of Alabama, I was given the paperwork to
enroll in the University Placement Service in order to be placed on the list
that visiting recruiters could select potential hirees from. Question 10 was
simply titled ANCESTRY. I put USA. My father was born in Eau Claire, Wisconsin,
and my mother was born in Philippine Islands on a U. S. military post, Camp
Stotsenberg, the first-born of an Army  Lieutenant and his new bride, from
Philadelphia and Washington, D. C. respectively. My father's father was born in
Westfield, New York, and his mother in Brooklyn N. Y. USA seemed a natural
choice.

The paperwork was returned with the request to qualify the answer with e. g.
Scotch-Irish, French-Huegenot, or other.

I sent it back with this comment: GIVE ME A GENERATION and I will give you the
nationality breakdown. In due course I received the packet with the cryptic
note: "Come on, Mr. Peirce, you know what we mean". I returned the packet with
the following notation: "Question 10: ANCESTRY: Adam and Eve, Garden of Eden".
Needless to say, I never interviewed a prospective employer while a student.

Albert E. Peirce, West Chester, Ohio; also from Caracas, Venezuela (77-79);
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada, (74-76); Greenville, S. C., ('65); Tuskaloosa,
Birmingham, Huntsville, Alabama, (58-65); Djakarta, Indonesia, ('58); San
Miguel & San Salvador, El Salvador, (56-57); Long Island, N. Y. , Maryland, and
Delaware (52-55); Dominican Republic (48-51); Mexico (47-48); Florida,
Virginia, Iowa, Florida, Virginia, and finally, born: Washington, District of
Columbia, USA, 1936.