Hi Catherine; the whole subject area of cell wall deficient forms is confusing - at least to me. I've just started reading Dr. Mattman's book, don't know if the quote Nancy pointed you to is from the book or someone's precis. What does seem clear is that most detection methodologies are still based on "accepted standards" and may well miss some forms - if seen, considered 'debris' rather than identifiable pleomorphs, and often not seen at all. Whether a PCR would be adequate standalone technology for detection - - - ? Could you give me some references on detection and treatment protocols and general enlightenment on CWD forms and filtrable pleomorphs?
TIA,  Malcolm