I think the problem with various labs giving different results comes mostly from using different methods. The same type equipment calibrated the same way should be pretty close in results to each other.
Ken

At 11:01 AM 4/14/2003 -0700, you wrote:
Hi James,

Not only can they be off 2% of full scale but they read only about half the ionic portion so that takes the readings down closer to zero than the much more accurate PWT.

Example...if the ionic content is 10 the TDS will read about 5. The PWT will read it at about 10.

I cannot comment about different labs other than to say our tests were done at two separate labs using AA spectrophotometry and the readings were approximately the same. Go figger.....

Regards,

Trem

----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:apothec...@cox.net>James Allison
To: <mailto:silver-list@eskimo.com>silver-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: CS>Re:CS>get both kinds here

On the subject of the TDS1 tester, in my opinion, while I agree that the TDS1 "can" be off by 20ppm, in the "hundreds" of units I've tested, I have never found one to be off by more than one or two points, unless it was actually a faulty meter that wouldn't even read the calibration sol correctly. Just because something has the potential to do something, doesn't necessarily mean that it will always do so. Just because lightning "can" strike you and kill you, doesn't mean that it will.

Again, only my opinion; the TDS1 is a great meter, and gives one a fairly good idea of where they're sitting ppm wise if they are making ionic silver. If one is truly a perfectionist, the only real way to tell the ppm is to send your stuff to a lab, and even then from what I understand, if the same samples from one batch are sent to two different labs, you're going to get two different reports.

Yours in health,
James Allison