> Re: CS>CS Generation with Solar Panels
> From: Ode Coyote
> Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 05:08:52

  > At 11:54 PM 5/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:

  >> Just got  my  12 VDC 1.5 watt Solar Panels  from  Harbor Freight.
  >> Could I connect 3 panels in series to produce 36 VDC?  This would
  >> be a  way  to generate CS if the power was  out  or  out camping.
  >> Brickey

  > Yes

  > But you can also just use 12 volts and it'll work just fine..a bit
  > slower and probably make better CS because of the slowdown.

  > Ken

  It will  work great! The reason is the initial resistance  of  dw is
  not constant  with  applied voltage. It  decreases,  so  the initial
  current will still be enough to get the process started.

  Put a  33k  to  75k in series to limit the current  to  ~200  uA per
  square inch  of wetted surface. This is the ULVDC  process  (ULV for
  short). Run  for  4  to 6 hrs and test with  salt.  Try  it  with an
  ordinary battery  to  verify.  You will be  very  pleased  with  the
  results.

  The lower voltage gradient means the ion cloud at the cathode is not
  as concentrated.  This  reduces the probability the  ions  will form
  particles, and the particles that do form are smaller. So they don't
  coat the  cathode  with as much black crud, and  don't  fall  to the
  bottom of the glass.

  The glass  doesn't become coated with black stuff that  you  have to
  clean off, and less silver is wasted. More silver stays in solution,
  so it does a better job when you drink it.

  I sometimes get a faint straw color after several hours, but none of
  the stuff  I've made has turned yellow and plated out.  The  stuff I
  made before was highly prone to plateout.

  More information should be posted soon.

Best Regards,

Mike Monett